Do you want to host a website but don’t know how to go about it? Then you are in the right place. Hosting a website can be intimidating for a newbie, but by following the four (4) simple steps outlined in this article, you can easily host your website.
The very first thing to do is to choose a reliable and powerful hosting provider. Web hosting plans usually come with an offer of a domain name if you do not already have one. The web hosting company you choose will provide a server that will host your website on the internet and store your website data.
A typical web hosting provider like Discount Domains will also provide you with other services such as firewall protection, email services, technical support, web applications, website building tools and data backup.
Essential Tools for Website Hosting
The basic tools for website hosting are a web hosting service provider and a domain name. When you have these tools ready, you are good to go!
- Website Hosting Service Provider: A hosting service provider offers you configured servers for your website hosting on the internet. It handles your data and file storage, and other technical issues. A typical provider offers easy tools to help you run your website efficiently.
- Domain Name: A domain name is your website’s address that helps users access the website. When users want to visit your website, all they need to do is type in your domain name in their browser, and they’ll be taken right there. Essentially, a domain name is a user-friendly way to link up browsers to the domain-associated server.
The Four Simple Steps of Hosting a Website
The four crucial, yet simple steps to hosting a website include:
- Get a domain name
- Choose the right web hosting service
- Buy a web hosting plan
- Transfer your website data to the server
STEP 1: Get a Domain Name
Choosing a domain name is a very important step in your website hosting process. A domain name is a website’s address, so it is best if you choose a domain name that reflects the purpose of your website, and is easy to remember. After settling with a choice of a domain name, you have to go ahead and register it. You can make use of domain registrars in registering your domain name.
As a newbie, it is easier and more convenient to get your domain name from your website hosting service provider.
STEP 2: Choose the Right Web Hosting Service
A web hosting service will house your website providing the technological infrastructure for it to be hosted on the internet and other add-on services. You have to choose a suitable hosting service that meets the needs of your website. Key features you should look out for when choosing a web hosting service are reliability, strength, security and speed.
Most web hosting service providers offer the following web hosting services:
- Dedicated Hosting: With a dedicated hosting service, you have a web server all to yourself. This gives your website better security and speed, even though it is costlier than the shared hosting service. If you intend to build a business for large organizations or for any other purpose with expected large traffic, then dedicated hosting is the best bet.
- Shared Hosting: Unlike the dedicated hosting service where you have a full server to yourself, shared hosting involves sharing a server with other website administrators. Shared hosting comes with a secure personal account, and an allocated space in the server. It is more affordable than dedicated hosting.
- VPS Hosting: VPS – an acronym for Virtual Private Server – hosting is a type of hosting where multiple websites are hosted on a very robust and strong server with several compartments. The server has a configuration that allows the independent functioning of each unit. It is a secure service that serves as the best for those who desire high security but can’t afford a dedicated hosting service.
- Cloud Hosting: This service allows the hosting of a website on a group of different virtual servers known as clouds. This is particularly useful for websites with the tendencies of have sudden upsurge in traffic. An unexpected tremendous rise in traffic can overwhelm and even crash a website hosted on a single server, but cloud hosted-website is usually safe from such outcomes. If you are planning on hosting a news or e-commerce website, then you should consider cloud hosting.
You can start with any service that is more convenient for you and upgrade to a more preferred service later as your business expands.
STEP 3: Buy a Web Hosting Plan
The next step after reviewing the available web hosting services and providers to get a suitable one for your website is to buy a web hosting plan. The hosting plan you eventually buy will depend on your budget and the hosting service that meets your business needs. Have you made your decision? Kick on the purchase button and buy a home for your website.
STEP 4: Transfer your Website Data to the Server
The final step in the website hosting process is to move your website to the server. A File Transfer Protocol(FTP) program will help you upload your files on the server. It is a software program that allows the transfer of files on the internet. There are free FTP programs you can utilize, and you can also use HTML editors with built-in FTP abilities.
With the Internet Explorer browser, you can easily transfer your files to the server by typing the server FTP address after the word FTP in the address bar.
By now you should be able to host your website with little or no difficulty. You can go through the steps over and over again to get a better grasp of them. It is important to remember that the web hosting service provider you choose for your web hosting determines to a very large extent the success of your website. So it is a very good idea to take your time in choosing the best one for your website.